Looking for my quilts and creative posts? Visit www.kalicokate.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cheap peeps!

I feel like Count von Count from Sesame Street every couple of hours when I check on these little balls of fluff, making sure all eight are still there. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...wait, didn't I already count you? 1, 2, 3...hold still!

These little chicks are just about a week old and all should be pullets or laying hens. The only possible rooster is this little gold and black one giving us "the eye" in the photo above. It is a Buttercup. The bin was filled with straight run chicks so we took a chance. Either way, the adult Buttercup is a beautiful bird.

This little ball of light yellow fluff is a very friendly, laid back chick. We're calling her Glinda. She will let anyone pet her or pick her up. In all my years of raising chickens, I've never seen one that likes to be this close to people. She is one of three Araucana/Americana chicks in the flock. One of the others is below and the third is currently covered in dark brown feather fluff.
The flock also includes two Barred Rocks and two Rhode Island Reds. We try to take them out in the afternoon sun for a little stroll through the yard.

2 comments:

Kez said...

Gorgeous photos!

Anonymous said...

So precious!!! Post some pictures grown~

As you can tell by now, I am catching up on your blog! :)